Make your off-campus trip a success!
Off Campus Trip Resources
EVERY off campus trip must follow these procedures!
- Risk Management Manual: Read, Understand, & Implement!
Find all the risk management standards, policies, and procedures for your off campus trip, from urban afternoon jaunt to backcountry whitewater expedition.
- Pre-Trip Proposal: Every good trip starts with good planning!
The completed proposal should be submitted at least 4 weeks before the trip starts.
- Driver Approval: must be completed by anyone who will drive a vehicle owned, leased, or rented for college purposes.
- Go online to the state DMV site that issued your driver’s license and request a driver’s history report. You will need to attach this to the SNU Tahoe Eligible College Driver & Safety Policy Form form.
- Scan or photograph your current driver’s license, front and back. You will also need to attach this to the SNU Tahoe Eligible College Driver & Safety Policy Form form.
- Read, sign, and submit the SNU Tahoe Eligible College Driver & Safety Policy Form. Don’t forget to attach the required documentation.
- Attend a 30 minute behind-the-wheel van driver’s training. Email email@example.com to schedule, trainings are held several times a year. The cost to your department is $37.50.
- Participant Agreement & Medical History Forms:
All participants on your off campus trip MUST have completed a current semester Participant Agreement & Medical History Form online. On the shared drive, access and print the current semester Participant Agreement & Medical History Form for each participant on your trip. You will take these forms with you in the field.
Note: If you do not have access to the shared drive, please contact your approving supervisor for assistance.
- Pre Trip Meeting: please refer to this helpful Pre Trip Meeting Outline
Hold a pre-trip meeting to discuss ALL logistics and materials, i.e. expectations, curriculum, maps, schedules, transportation, equipment, food, risk management, and forms. Use this meeting to complete any missing Participant Agreement/Medical History Forms. Review all Medical History Forms for any concerns.
- Departure Checklist:
Roster Changes: On the day of your off-campus trip and prior to your trip departure, email or text any roster changes to the Dean of Students, Will Hoida (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your approving supervisor.Do not forget to bring with you in the field:
- Your Participant Agreement/Medical History Forms
- Your Pre-Trip Proposal, which highlights your trip itinerary and emergency resources
- Blank copies of the Incident Report Form
- On backcountry trips, your Risk Management Manual and/or your Student Trip Leader Manual and Field Guide
- ENJOY your off-campus activity!
Vehicles, keys and clipboards, and all student and group equipment promptly.
- Post-Trip Evaluation Form: YOU’RE NOT DONE YET!
PLEASE assess your trip when you return to provide critical information for improving future trips.
- Thank you for your time and effort in making your trip fun, educational, and most importantly, professional.