Associate Vice President – Controller
This position reports directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration of the College, and will participate in regularly scheduled Cabinet Meetings. The Associate Vice President – Controller must have knowledge of all aspects of GAAP/GASB and Fund Non-Profit Accountings. This position will be responsible for managing the accounting operation of the College including Payroll, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, Grants, Cash Receipts, and General Ledger. The Associate Vice President – Controller will also assist with the annual budget preparation, budget reconciliation, monthly financial forecast, and the annual audit with the College’s external auditors.
The Associate Vice President – Controller has overall accountability and responsibility for the general accounting function of the College. This includes the overall responsibility and accountability for management of Accounts Payable, General Accounting, Payroll, Grant Accounting, and Cash Receipts. In addition, the Associate Vice President – Controller is responsible for effectively scheduling staff to meet the daily, weekly, monthly and year-end timelines and commitments, has overall responsibility and accounting for the timely completion of the external Annual Financial Statement Audit, and partners with the Director of HR to complete the annual 403(b) external audit.
- BA/BS in accounting or finance from an accredited college or university.
- Five to seven years of increasingly responsible professional accounting experience in a complex organization; experience in higher education or non-profit organizations preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP and GASB regulations, federal A-133 audit requirements, federal Single Audit Act requirements, and financial reporting.
- Experience with reviewing and analyzing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Experience in overseeing and reviewing general ledger and balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Experience with reviewing month-end, quarter-end, and year-end journal entries.
- The ability to articulate financial concepts to a non-finance person, and work through day-to-day issues that arise and need resolution.
- Experience managing a staff that is responsible for an organization’s finance and accounting operation; open, collaborative and collegial leadership style.
- Experience with accounting software – Banner experience a plus. Knowledge of the procurement system and the encumbrance of funds essential.
- Manage, maintain and set up account codes, funds, and organizations as deemed necessary for the business. Experience in designing a new chart of accounts based on the growth of the business model is a plus.
- Possess solid communication (verbal and written), technology, organizational, and analytical skills; detail oriented.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments of the College, students and government agencies.
- Able to work as a team player in a dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in the Windows environment, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
License or Certificate: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensure desired
Reports to: Vice President for Finance and Administration
Pay Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, $90,000 – $128,000. Competitive Health, Vision, Dental, Retirement, Vacation and Sick Benefits
Position Classification: Full-time, exempt
Other: Fingerprint check required as a condition of employment.
Please upload your resume, cover letter, list of at least three professional references, and any other documentation to our online application. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
Sierra Nevada College is an Equal Opportunity Employer