We want to take this opportunity to give you a brief summary of your rights under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the federal law that governs release of and access to student education records. These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review your education record within a reasonable time after the College receives a request for access. If you want to review your record, contact the Office of the Registrar to make appropriate arrangements.
- The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the Office of the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. The Office of the Registrar will notify you of their decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the education.
- The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with “legitimate educational interests.” A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official has a “need to know” information from your education record in order to fulfill his or her official responsibilities. Examples of people who may have access, depending on their official duties, and only within the context of those duties, include: college faculty and staff, agents of the institution, students employed by the institution or who serve on official institutional committees, and representatives of agencies under contract with the College.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
Release of student record information is generally not done at Sierra Nevada College without the expressed, written consent of the student. There are, however, some exceptions.
For example, directory information includes the following, and may be released without the student’s consent: name, email address, major field of study, dates of attendance, place of birth, degrees and awards received, student’s participation in officially recognized activities, student athlete’s weight and height, and photographs (including ID pictures). At anytime you have the right to withhold the release of directory information. Please note two important details when placing a Full Confidentiality block on your record:
- The College receives many inquiries for directory information from a variety of sources outside the institution, including friend’s parents, relatives, prospective employers, the news media and honor societies. Placing a Full Confidentiality block on your record will preclude release of such information, even to those people.
- If participating in commencement and have placed Full Confidentiality block on your record, your name will not be printed in any documentation, including the commencement program.
In order for information to be released to any third party or parent, you must grant permission by completing the FERPA Release Form below. It is mandatory that the Office of the Registrar has a signed FERPA for all students. If we do not have a FERPA on file, a hold has been placed on your account. If you would like to review or revise your current FERPA Release, please stop by the Office of the Register. The FERPA Release form can be updated at anytime.
Additional details about your rights, and any College policies related to the Act are available from the Office of the Registrar at www.sierranevada.edu/resources/registrar/.
Questions concerning FERPA should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.
Due to a technical issue with Internet Explorer, please use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari to submit your release.
Don’t want to submit online?
Fill out the form, print the page, and mail to admissions.
Office of Admissions
Sierra Nevada College
999 Tahoe Boulevard
Incline Village, NV 89451