How is *COVID* affecting the 2021 Commencement?
We are planning to hold SNU’s 51st Commencement in person, in its traditional location on Patterson Lawn. Although safety will require a smaller event than in the past, we are very excited to return this momentous celebration for our students to our (not virtual) beautiful campus by Lake Tahoe.
In order to maintain safe social distancing, graduating students will be limited to two guests and reservations will be required. As usual, we will livestream the entire event for family and friends everywhere. Any graduating students who are not able to be present can have their names and degrees announced in absentia by their department chair.
These plans are, as all plans have been since the onset of the pandemic, subject to conditions on the ground. Policies that are significantly different due to COVID are marked *COVID*. Check back for updates!
When is Commencement and where is it held?
- Commencement is Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 10 am. Weather and COVID permitting it is held on the Incline Village campus, on the lawn next to Patterson Hall.
I can’t be there. Can I watch Commencement online?
- Yes, Commencement will be available on Livestream in real time and after the event.
Can I get photos of Commencement?
- Professional photos of the ceremony and of each graduating student will be available to download a few days after commencement. A link to the SNU Tahoe Commencement photos will be posted on the Commencement Page and the Alumni Page as soon as the pictures are available.
What are the requirements for students to participate in Commencement?
- *COVID* Graduating students MUST submit their Commencement Student RSVP by the deadlines below to participate in Commencement. Due to COVID restrictions, NO late registrations will be accepted!
- 2020 (Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Summer 2020) graduates walking in the 2021 Commencement: March 15, 2021
- 2021 (Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021) graduates: April 23, 2021
- For academic eligibility requirements see “Who is eligible to participate in Commencement?” below.
How many guests may I invite to Commencement? Are there guest tickets?
- *COVID* Each student who will be walking at Commencement can invite 2 guests.
- *COVID* Guests must RSVP at Guest Commencement RSVP by April 23, 2021 in order to attend.
- *COVID* All guests must present their RSVP Confirmation email (printed or digital) to attend the ceremony.
- Traveler Information
- Driving Directions
What are the academic requirements to be eligible to participate in Commencement?
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a valid graduation petition by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar.
- “Within-Nine”: Students who graduate any time within an academic year (Fall/December 2020, Spring/May 2021 or Summer/August 2021) are invited to participate in the May 2021 ceremony. Since summer (August) graduates are allowed to participate in the preceding spring (May) ceremony, students with nine or fewer units to complete will be allowed to participate in commencement. Under this “Within-Nine” policy, students must provide proof of enrollment in the final required units to the Office of the Registrar in order to participate and have their names printed in the commencement program. All in-progress summer courses must be completed before the start of the fall term to qualify for the “Within-Nine” exception. Senior Projects, Capstone Courses and Gallery Exhibitions for BFA students must be completed and do not fall under this “Within-Nine” policy. Students who drop or withdraw from a required class or who are not able to complete their requirements by the end of the summer semester but who still walk in the commencement ceremony will be listed in the graduation program only one time and will not be allowed to walk in an additional ceremony.
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a graduate student must have submitted a graduation petition by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar and complete all requirements. Academic regalia must be worn in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Department of Teacher Education Requirements: Students who complete all requirements, including MAT Thesis, MAT Professional Project or M.Ed. Action Plan in Summer/August 2020, Fall/December 2020 or Spring/May 2021 are invited to walk in the May 2021 ceremony.
- Master of Fine Arts Requirements: Students must be on track to complete all course requirements by the end of the Summer 2021 Residency to walk in the May 2021 ceremony. Consult with your advisor before submitting your graduation petition.
2020 graduates are eligible to walk in the 2021 ceremony if they choose. Due to COVID social distancing planning requirements, 2020 graduates MUST submit their Commencement Student RSVP by March 15, 2021 to be included.
Graduation Regalia & Accessories
How do I obtain graduation announcements & accessories?
- Personalized announcements are available online through www.jostens.com. Various packages are offered and priced accordingly. Jostens prints personalized announcements with the graduate’s name and degree and date, time and place of the ceremony and usually ship within 14 days. Generic or non-personalized announcements are also available at the SNU Bookstore or online through Jostens. The announcements come with cards printed with the date, time and place of the ceremony and a blank card for the graduate’s name and degree that can be inserted into the announcement.
How do I get my academic regalia?
- *COVID* PURCHASE: Academic regalia packages for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree candidates can be purchased online at www.mkt.com/snu-campus-store until May 7th, or in person for one day only on May 10th. Those choosing to purchase their regalia in person must do so on Monday, May 10th from 10am until 4pm on the Patterson Patio. Regalia packages include cap, gown, and tassel. Candidates for the Master’s degree must also purchase a Master’s hood. Gowns are sized by height.
- *COVID* RENT: Undergraduate students can rent their gown from the SGA Gown Closet on a first-come, first-served basis for a $30 refundable cash deposit; students renting their gown from the SGA Commencement Closet must also purchase their own cap and tassel for $15.Due to COVID restrictions, students intending to rent their gown must come to the Patterson Patio on Monday, May 10th from 10am until 4pm to sign paperwork, pay their deposit, pick up their gown, and purchase their cap and tassel. The rental gown MUST be returned to the Campus Store tent immediately following Commencement and before noon in order to receive your deposit refund.
How do I get my “Honors” stole?
- Students who qualify will receive the appropriate honor stole on the morning of Commencement. All students must check in at the Registrar’s table, which will be set up at Commencement.
How can I order a class ring?
- Class rings can also be ordered through Jostens. Please visit www.jostens.com and click on “Student” then “College” and follow the instructions to find SNU.
- Contact Information: 775.831.1314
- Event Questions: Will Hoida | ext. 7450 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regalia & Graduate Accessories (caps, gowns, rings, etc): Campus Store | ext. 7433 | email@example.com
- Undergraduate Graduation Requirements: Jane Rainwater | ext. 7435 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Masters Degree Graduation Requirements: email@example.com