Sources of Financial Aid

All students applying for financial aid must complete the FAFSA >.


Undergraduate Grants

Federal Pell Grant

This grant is awarded to undergraduate students who have not received a bachelor’s degree and who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Financial need and eligibility are determined by the federal government using the data you submitted on the FAFSA.

SNC Grant

This grant is awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. If you filed a FAFSA you were automatically considered for this program.

Graduate Grants

Teach Nevada Scholarships

The Nevada Dept. of Education Teach Nevada Scholarships provide up to $3,000 per semester (up to $18,000 overall) to newly enrolled eligible students in the ARL (Alternative Route to Licensure) track in the Dept. of Teacher Education's MA in Teaching program. Scholarship awards are based on program eligibility, financial need, and the student's commitment to help to fill the need for teachers in the state of Nevada. Applicants must fill out the FAFSA.
Application Deadlines:

  • January 1st to start January 18th
  • February 22nd to start March 5th
  • May 1st to start May 16th

SNC offers the Federal Student Aid TEACH Grant for MAT and M.Ed. students. In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in an elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students.
To Apply:


Federal Stafford Student Loans

are funded by the federal government. The student must complete the FAFSA. Interest rates for loans are determined each July 1st.  Students accept loans(s) electronically on SNCSIS.

  • The Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan is a federally-sponsored "need-based" loan. The federal government pays the interest while you are enrolled at least half time. Interest begins to accrue upon graduation or separation from school. The current interest rate for subsidized loans is 3.76% for undergraduate students. It is not available for graduate students.
  • The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is a federally-sponsored loan which is not need-based but has no interest subsidy. The interest accrues from the date of disbursement. You may pay the interest while you are enrolled or defer the interest. Accrued interest will capitalize once when you enter repayment. Students are encouraged to make the interest payments while in school to help decrease the total costs of the loan. The current interest rate for unsubsidized loans is 3.76% for undergraduate students and 5.31% for graduate students.
  • Federal Parent Plus Loan for Dependent Undergraduate Students: Parents wanting to borrow through a PLUS loan must complete an Online Application and Master Promissory Note at SNC only accepts Federal Direct PLUS loans, so outside lender PLUS applications will not be processed. The Parent Plus loan is a credit-based loan with a current interest rate of 6.31%. Parents may opt to defer repayment until their student graduates, although interest will begin accruing when the loan is funded.  Origination fees will be deducted from the amount of loan requested.
  • Stafford Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers: If you have received Stafford loans while at SNC and have been or will be employed for at least five consecutive, complete school years as a full time teacher in an elementary or secondary school designated as a low-income school you may qualify for loan forgiveness. For further information go to www.studentaid.ed.govand select repaying. Or call 1-800-4-FED-AID. For a list of eligible schools in Nevada go to www.TCLI.ED.GOV  (location based on county).

Entrance Counseling: First-time borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling before funds will be credited to the student’s account. Both are completed online at You will need your federal pin. Per Federal regulations, loan funds for first-time borrowers will be disbursed 30 days after the start of the semester. Origination fees will be deducted with each disbursement from the amount of loan requested.

The counseling session will take about 20-30 minutes to complete. It provides useful tips and tools to help you develop a budget for managing your educational expenses and helps you to understand your loan responsibilities.

Exit Counseling: Prior to graduating or leaving college, borrowers are required to complete an online Exit Counseling session. This online exit counseling session was created to make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as a Direct Loan borrower.

Private/Alternative Loans

Students with additional need may apply separately for alternative loans through outside lenders. Sierra Nevada College's Recommended Lenders are selected by the quality of products and services they provide to students and families, and a student has the right to choose any outside lender to obtain student loans. The college will work with any alternative lender you choose. Please contact the Director of Financial Aid, Judy Roberts, if you would like help in selecting a lender.

Education Loans Code of Conduct

SNC does not participate in any revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender, nor does the College receive gifts from any lender, any guarantor, or any loan servicer for providing Loan Funds to its student population. SNC has a list of lenders that SNC has successfully worked with in the past and that SNC students have borrowed from over the past five or more years. Students are not limited to these options when choosing a lender.

SNC approves or denies loan requests based on enrollment only. Any student receiving a private loan must be enrolled in at least one class. Any student receiving Federal Direct loans must enroll at least half time. If these conditions are not met, SNC may deny the student loan certification.

VA Students / GI Bill

Military Students Info

SNC certifies VA students for both the regular GI Bill and the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Yellow Ribbon Program) for fully admitted and enrolled students.

Undergraduate students who are 100% Yellow Ribbon eligible will receive the SNC Yellow Ribbon scholarship, which covers 100% of the tuition/fees for the amount of time specified on the student’s VA Letter of Eligibility, instead of any SNC Merit scholarships for which they qualify. VA students who have Yellow Ribbon eligibility of less than 100% are eligible to receive both the SNC Merit scholarship for which they qualify and the percentage of benefits offered by the VA. If a student exhausts their VA Yellow Ribbon eligibility, any SNC Merit scholarship for which they qualify will be reactivated. For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

In order to be certified, please submit the following to

  1. Copy of the form the VA sends you proving eligibility.
  2. If you have been using your benefits at another institution, you must complete a Change of Program/School (VA Form 22-1995).  You can fill out this form electronically at:
  3. Copy of all transcripts from every institution you have attended, including a military transcript or letter from your branch stating that you did not complete any training or education while in the service. For required document(s), all branches can be found at: 
  4. Lastly, you will need to fill out a Request for Certification every semester you are enrolled at SNC. You can find the form at /admissions/undergrad/financial-aid/forms/

Sierra Nevada College is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges.