How do I apply for financial aid?

All applicants for financial aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is the official application for financial aid at Sierra Nevada College. The application is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. To answer Question 87 on the FAFSA, use the SNC Federal School code, 009192.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

All admitted full-time students who are US citizens or who are permanent residents of the United States are considered for financial aid.

back to list of questions

My parents do not provide financial support for me. Do I need to provide their financial information?

Applicants under the age of 24 may establish independent status if they are wards of the court, orphans, or are estranged from their family. In case of an adverse home situation there must be a signed statement of verification by a school official, religious leader or social worker.

back to list of questions

What is the cost of attending Sierra Nevada College?

See details in the Tuition and Fees sections for Undergraduate Students and Graduate Students.

 back to list of questions

How are my parents’ and my contribution determined?

Family contribution is determined by considering family income and assets, total number of family members and number of family members attending college. The formula for determining contribution considers living costs, taxes, a protection for savings for retirement and any unusual medical expenses. In addition, allowances are given for family emergencies and college savings plans for younger siblings.

back to list of questions

How is eligibility for financial aid determined?

Eligibility for financial aid is computed by subtracting your total family contribution from the Sierra Nevada College cost of attendance.

back to list of questions

What funds are available for meeting my eligibility for financial aid?

Sierra Nevada College provides financial aid from four sources:

  • The Federal Student Aid Program — Grants, Loans, and Student Employment
  • The Millennium Scholarship Program — Nevada Residents Only
  • The Nevada State Incentive Grant Program
  • The Sierra Nevada College Scholarship and Grant Fund

back to list of questions

When and how do I receive my financial aid?

The Sierra Nevada College Student Finance Office has an account for each enrolled student. For each semester of enrollment you will receive one-half of your annual financial aid award as a credit to your student account. Gift aid (scholarships and grants) are credited each semester and loans are listed as an expected amount until loan funds are received on your behalf. Earnings through the Federal student employment program are not credited to your account. Students receive paychecks bimonthly for hours worked in a designated work study job.

back to list of questions

What happens if I receive an outside scholarship?

If you receive any outside awards (community scholarships etc.), these funds must be coordinated with the SNC financial aid award package. In cases where an outside award may bring the total aid award over the federally computed level of financial need, SNC will first adjust loans and student employment.

back to list of questions

Do I need to reapply for financial aid every year?

Financial aid eligibility is computed annually and you will need to file a FAFSA accordingly. Eligibility for financial aid is based on your current family financial situation and satisfactory academic progress. If you receive financial aid funds from a private foundation or agency, you are responsible for completing any required renewal documentation.

back to list of questions