Student and advisor working on financial aid

Financial Aid

What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid is any source of funds available to help students pay for their college education.

If you think you will need support beyond your own financial resources, whatever your family situation, you should apply for financial aid.

The four main types of financial aid are Grants, Loans, Work – Study, and Scholarships.


Federal and state grants and tuition assistance are gift aid that usually do not have to be repaid. They are need based – students must fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to verify their financial need.


Both public and private loans must be repaid with interest. Some loans are need-based. Students must fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for ANY student loans.


Scholarships are based on academic merit. You do not have to show financial need, and the money does not have to be repaid. SNU Tahoe has a generous merit scholarship program for undergraduates. Most graduate scholarships are program-specific – ask your admissions counselor or program administrator.


Undergraduate students with financial need can apply for part-time Federal Work Study (FWS) jobs on campus. Students must fill out the FAFSA to determine their eligibility.

The first step in getting financial aid is to

Fill Out the FAFSA

SNU code for the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is 009192.

Can I Afford College?

We’re here to help you afford a great SNU education. Use the Undergraduate Tuition & Fees and Graduate Tuition & Fees links to estimate your costs. Undergraduates on our main campus should use the FRESHMAN or TRANSFER Cost Calculator to see how our merit scholarships will reduce your tuition.

All Sierra Nevada University degree programs qualify eligible students for federal financial aid. Our financial aid advisors will help you find the best aid options and walk you through every step of the process. Contact our office or talk to your Admissions Counselor to get started.

Contact Us
Deanna Guasch
Financial Services Advisor

Jack Witt
Financial Aid Advisor

Who is Eligible for Need-Based Aid?

The basic requirements to be eligible for receive need-based financial aid are:

  • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • Have financial need (for need-based programs).
  • Be accepted for enrollment, or be enrolled, as a student working toward a degree or certificate. You may apply for aid before you are accepted, but aid can not be offered until you have been admitted to SNU.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, or an eligible non-U.S. citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if required.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree.
  • Use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.

Special Circumstances

Students enrolled at more than one institution:
Students who are enrolled at more than one college or university at the same time may receive financial aid from only one of the institutions, not both.

Undergraduate students who have already received one or more bachelor’s degree(s):
Undergraduates who have already received a bachelors degree will only be eligible for loans. This includes students in double major or dual degree programs who have already met the requirements for one of their majors or degrees and are continuing their education toward the additional major or degree.

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Sierra Nevada University
999 Tahoe Blvd.
Incline Village, NV 89451-9500
Fax: 775-832-1678