2021 Summer Workshop Schedule
Register now for this Summer 2021! Some workshops are already full – don’t delay registration!
We look forward to welcoming you back this summer to Sierra Nevada University, Lake Tahoe! Our new kiln building is finished and gorgeous! We are planning to host in person/on campus workshops, following COVID guidelines. Please see our great line-up below.
The Holman Arts and Media Center
Rob and Robin Holman will forever be remembered by all who enjoy the incredible facility that they generously donated. They are deeply missed!
2021 Workshop Schedule
Sign up for the waitlist for FULL sessions and the November Japan travel course on the Workshop Registration form – you will not be charged.
|Randy Brodnax and Don Ellis FULL||Fast Fire “Pottree I”: Alternative Firing Methods||June 14th – 18th|
|Randy Brodnax and Don Ellis FULL||Fast Fire “Pottree II”: Alternative Firing Methods||June 21st – 25th|
|Ehren Tool||Toolcups||June 28th – July 2nd|
|Josh DeWeese||The Art of Pottery: Finding Your Own Voice||July 12th – 16th|
|Lisa Clague FULL||Figuratively Speaking||July 26th – 30th|
|Rebekah Bogard FULL||Making Animals with Soft Slabs||July 24th & 25th|
|ALL Ceramic Workshops! Info here|
*November Travel Course to Japan:
|Sheri Leigh O’Connor||Ceramics, Sushi, and Sightseeing in Japan
Registration will be available when Japan’s borders are officially open. Fingers crossed before November!
|November 2nd – 19th, 2021|
|Jerry Dodrill||Contemporary Tahoe Digital Photography||June 21st – 25th|
|Phyllis Shafer– FULL||Plein Air Landscape Painting in Tahoe||July 12th – 16th|
|Rick Parsons||DIY Pewter Casting||July 19th – 23rd|
2021 online registration is open.
If you have credit for a 2020 workshop, please contact Sheri directly to register for 2021.
Online registration does not guarantee enrollment. Classes may fill before online registrations get processed. Early registration is highly recommended.
*Info and waitlists: Contact Sheri Leigh O’Connor 775.881.7588 – email@example.com
Summer COVID Protocol:
To ensure the health and safety of all, anybody participating in a summer 2021 course or program on the SNU campus must do the following prior to arriving on campus:
- Email a negative COVID test result, taken no more than 5 days prior to coming to campus, to both Sheri Leigh O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org and Lizzie Thibodeau at email@example.com.
For example, If you are checking into the dorms on Sunday get tested on the Wednesday prior. If you are attending the workshop but not checking into the dorms, test on the Thursday prior to the start of class on Monday.
- COVID testing is required even if you’re fully vaccinated.
- Masks are not required inside for fully vaccinated individuals, but required for those not fully vaccinated
- Review and sign the SNU Community Health Pledge.
- Install the CampusClear app on their cellphone, and check in on the app every day before coming to campus or leaving the dorm.
The university cannot provide testing on campus, and all testing expenses are the individual’s responsibility. Please read SNU’s current COVID policies here.
Summer Art Workshops at SNU Tahoe
General Information on Summer Workshops
Lake Tahoe and the scenic Sierra Nevada Mountains truly inspire the artist in us all. SNU offers a variety of summer workshops given by nationally known ceramists, glass artists, painters, sculptors, printmakers, digital artists, photographers, papermakers, jewelers, and more. Learn new techniques and expand your knowledge in the medium.
On Tuesday night at 7pm each week during the workshops, we’ll host our “Meet the Artist” lecture in the Prim Library, which will be immediately followed by an informal reception in the Tahoe Gallery. It’s free and open to the public. There are many activities in the area to enjoy while you’re here, including swimming, boating, golfing and hiking to mention a few.
Workshop students, aged 16 and up, can take workshops for personal enrichment or college credit. All are welcome! Tuition includes some materials, possible kiln firings, equipment rental, etc. Spouses, parents, children and friends are welcome to visit the studios before and after classes and attend “Meet the Artist” on Tuesday nights, but may not accompany the participant at the workshop.
Upon paid registration, students will receive an information packet by email with maps and directions to the college, class location, what to bring to the workshop, and other pertinent information, as well as Tahoe visitors info. A full refund is available for withdrawing up until four weeks before the course start date. The attendee must petition, and have the petition approved after the four week deadline for a refund.
2021 Tuition Rates:
- Class Schedule: Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm
- Non-Credit Tuition: $569 – includes some materials*
- Credit Tuition: $804 for 1.5 college credits or 1.5 teacher recertification credits (2020 rate)
- Class Schedule: Saturday and Sunday, 10am – 5pm
- Non-Credit Tuition: $249 – includes some materials*
- Credit Tuition: $484 for .5 college credits, .5 teacher recertification credits
*Japan Travel Course:
- Tuition and fees for 2021 – $4,200.
- Planning trip for 2021, but will be contingent on Japan allowing international tourists.
- If interested, please contact Sheri – 775.881.7588 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sheri will put you on a contact list, and registration will occur when Japan opens.
Some workshop participants will be asked to bring some items, like ceramic tools or materials (like paints, canvases, etc.). A “Tool List” and info packet will be emailed to you before the workshop.
Lunches are not included, but may be purchased at the SNU cafeteria during their open hours.
We’ll provide complimentary breakfast sweets, fruit, coffee and tea each morning at the workshops.
For more information
(Online registration does not guarantee enrollment. Classes may fill before online registrations get processed)
Please contact Sheri directly if you have credit for a 2020 workshop. email@example.com
Some single and double rooms on campus may be available in the dorms, subject to availability. Each room has its own bathroom, and linens* are included. Weekly room cleaning and linen turnover are included with multi-week stays. There is no maid service and meals are not included. Additional nights may be available at an additional charge.
Contact Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about room availability. Please include the dates you need and your contact information in the email.
2021 Housing Prices
- Single Weeklong $1,026. – 6 nights: Sunday night through Saturday morning
- Double Weeklong $513. per person – 6 nights: Sunday night through Saturday morning
- Single Weekend $342. – 2 nights: Friday through Sunday morning
- Double Weekend $171. per person – 2 nights: Friday through Sunday morning
* Includes one fitted sheet, one flat sheet, one blanket, one pillow, one pillow case, one bath towel, one hand towel, one washcloth, toilet paper, mini soap, and free wifi. There is no ac, tv, or additional taxes or fees.
A wide variety of resort, hotel, and vacation rental options are available in the immediate area. The Parkside Inn is located directly across the street from the Holman Arts and Media Center Building.
You can be here this summer, making art in this gorgeous place: Lake Tahoe!
Photo: Steve Ellsworth