South Africa Service – Learning
Join us in a Service – Learning Project to the rural communities around South Africa and earn up to 9 credits.
Spring & Summer 2019
Travel Dates: May 22 – June 7
Course Fee: $2,500
- INTB 390 – African Development Economics [3 credits]
- INTL 300 – Service Learning [3 credits]
- ENVS 360 – Conservation Photography [3 credits]
Included in Course Fees: all lodging, some meals, in-country travel, tips, entrance fees, etc.
- Tuition: $333 / credit. (Students who want to participate in the trip without credit can audit for $333 plus the course fee.)
- Airfare to/from Cape Town, South Africa
- Personal Costs: all meals not included with lodging and all personal/incidental costs
Open: to SNC students, non-SNC students, and interested adults subject to space available.
Credit: Students may enroll for up to 9 credits plus any internship and research credits.
Expectations: All students who participate in this travel are expected to be fully engaged in the service-learning component (up to 8 hours per day). Students are expected to act responsibly and as ambassadors for SNC at all times. SNC students will be expected to follow the SNC Code of Conduct and will be required to sign an agreement to this effect.
Tentative Activities – Travel Abroad Africa
Cape Town: Enjoy a tour of Cape Town. See the penguins, Simon’s Town, Boulder Beach and more. Take a hike, surf, or visit a museum.
Wildlife College: students will fly to Hoedspruit, where they will visit the Wildlife College. Students will see the wildlife rehab center, which includes a rehab center specifically for cheetahs.
Tamboti: Students will complete the service learning part of the course in Tamboti. Evening game drives will also be a part of the visit.
You may be painting schools, building community gardens, renovating pre-schools, and tutoring students in English and Maths. Final decisions will be made when we arrive. You should be comfortable responding flexibly and creatively to circumstances in a different culture.
Skukuza & Olifants: Class time and elephant museums will be included in this part of the trip.
Cape Town: discussion about how to finish the course will be held over a group dinner. An optional shark dive or winery tour will take place before the departure.
- Upon arrival in South Africa, you will have to clear immigration and customs. You are traveling to South Africa as a TOURIST. Request a tourist visa.
- You must have a passport that is valid for at least six months following your travel to South Africa and you must have at least two blank pages in your passport in order to obtain a visa (no cost) to enter South Africa. All students are expected to determine if they are eligible for an airport visa or will need to apply for their visa prior to arrival in South Africa. Failure to ensure you meet the above criteria may result in denial of entry to South Africa.
- No shots are required unless you are transiting an area that has yellow-fever.
- Thornybush is in a malaria zone. Students may wish to consider taking an anti-malarial prophylactic. Please consult your doctor prior to taking any medication.
- Travel insurance may be purchased separately from MEDEX or other company to cover the costs of unexpected emergencies.
- Please check with your health insurance carrier to ensure you have coverage outside the U.S.
- Students may elect to travel on their own, without SNC sponsorship, before or after the SNC Service Learning trip. In 2014, students traveled to Cape Town, Victoria Falls, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe. This travel is at your own expense and you are on your own to make travel arrangements. It is NOT part of the SNC sponsored travel.
- Students MUST complete all required paperwork (flight info, participant information sheet, passport copy, and contact details) prior to departing for RSA. If you arrive in country and we do not have the required paperwork, we may be required to put you on a return flight back to the US. You are also expected to pay all course fees due SNC prior to your departure. The SNC Student Accounts office must verify payment of your course fees.