English Scholar Program
An accelerated educational experience individually tailored to your chosen English specialty – creative writing, technical writing, journalism and media, literature, teaching . . .
Fast-track your development as an English scholar with the the help of personal mentoring and enhanced creative opportunities.
Learn professional level skills and prepare for graduate school and career opportunities as an undergraduate.
How It Works
Begin working with your faculty mentor.
Possible membership on the Poetry Center board.
Collaborate with a faculty member to co-author works in your genre for publication or presentation.
Possible work with graduate students on the highly respected journal, The Sierra Nevada Review, or position as assistant to the English department chair.
Intern in your specialty. Some possibilities include working with a local publishing house, arts publication, magazine, or newspaper, or working in the school district.
Attend the national AWP conference.
Be a Teaching Assistant for a Sierra Nevada College English course. Responsibilities could include leading lessons and discussions, mentoring student groups, and grading.
Attend the national AWP conference – again.
Identify promising post-grad opportunities, including graduate programs and employment, build a strong Curriculum Vitae, and craft your application materials, all with the professional guidance of your mentor.
Your degree and transcript will include your completion of the English Scholar Program!
The English Scholar Program is an opportunity for promising students to enrich their language, writing, and critical and creative thinking skills towards professional goals.
A maximum of five students are admitted to the English Scholar Program each year.
Students must maintain full-time student status, a 3.0 GPA, and participate in at least one club or student organization while in the program.
Apply to the English Scholar Program:
Prospective Freshman: apply by email to SNC English Department Chair June Saraceno at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A cover letter that describes why you want to be part of the Sierra Nevada College English Scholar Program AND
- Your full name
- Your high school GPA and expected graduation date
- Your preferred area of interest
- Any clubs, teams, and other extra-curricular activities and/or interests you think are relevant to your application
- At least one letter of recommendation from an English teacher (Can be scanned or photographed. JPG, JPEG, PNG, or PDF file formats accepted. Attach to email.)
- A writing sample totaling 500-800 words that reflects your best work; this can be more than one piece. Make sure that your full name is part of the file name. (PDF, RTF, DOC, or DOCX file formats accepted. Attach to email.)
Prospective Transfer Students who are interested in the benefits of this program should contact SNC English Department Chair June Saraceno at email@example.com. Include your post-high-school GPA and English classes for an evaluation of your eligibility.
Apply to Sierra Nevada College
Applicants to the English Scholar Program will get priority consideration of their application to the college.