Residence Life Statement of Purpose
Sierra Nevada College and the Residence Life staff believe that a group living environment, which fosters intellectual curiosity, personal responsibility, self-governance, educational success, personal goal setting, and social interaction, can create a richer and more meaningful campus experience. The privilege of living on campus includes assuming responsibility for one’s actions while living within a large group setting. The Residence Life staff is dedicated to creating an environment which encourages respect for one’s self and others, as well as contributes to the development of the full potential of all residents.
The above-named student (and his/her undersigned parent/guardian, if the student is under 18 years of age), hereby makes a contractual agreement to live in the Sierra Nevada College residence hall during the 2013-2014 school year. It is understood and agreed that this constitutes a binding contract and that the student will abide by the rules, regulations, and responsibilities outlined below, as well as those outlined in the Student Handbook.
- SNC leases to Tenant and Tenant leases from SNC, upon the terms and conditions contained herein, the dwelling located at 999 Tahoe Blvd for the period commencing on the 12th day of August, 2013 at 9:00AM and thereafter until the 14th day of May, 2012 by 3:00PM, at which time this Lease Agreement shall automatically be terminated each year, unless renewal is submitted in writing. Tenant understands that all belongings will be removed from the room, and cleaned for the duration of winter break.
- Tenant shall pay as rent the sum of $ 2950.00 for each semester, due and payable in student accounts, in advance, if not paid in full the tenant will be billed. Tenant further agrees to pay interest charges for each month the rent is not received.
- Tenant agrees to use said dwelling as living quarters by themselves only.
- Each Tenant agrees to follow SNC‘s write-up policy outlined in the Student Handbook, available at www.sierranevada.edu, also upon request.
- Tenant agrees to abide by the rule that residence halls are smoke-free, drug-free, and violence free, regardless of student age, and violations of drug policies may be subject to law enforcement, as well as College sanctions. We prohibit smoking of any kind, as well as burning of candles, incense, or potpourri.
- Tenant agrees to abide by the rule that the residence halls are alcohol-free except for specific sanctioned areas for students over the age of 21. If under the age of 21, no student should be in possession or consumption of alcohol on campus. Violation of the alcohol policy may be subject to law enforcement, as well as College sanctions
- Tenant agrees to accept the property in its current condition and to return it in “move-in clean” condition, or a special cleaning charge upon vacating the premises will be charged to your student account. The carpets are to be vacuumed. If the room isn’t in acceptable condition cleaning charges will be accessed, as determined by the SNC housing department.
- Disruptive or destructive behavior or dangerous actions toward other students or staff will not be tolerated. All residents are expected to be considerate of other residents by showing common courtesy, observing established quiet hours (Sunday through Thursday – 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.; and Friday and Saturday – Midnight to 8:00 a.m.), and monitoring the volume of music and conversation at all times while in the residence halls. Students are expected to assist in keeping the residence halls clean and presentable.
- Pets are not allowed. All pets on the property shall be presumed to be strays and will be transported to an appropriate agency as prescribed by law, in addition to a write-up.
- Tenant agrees not to allow any other person to live therein other than as named in paragraph 3 above without first obtaining written permission from SNC as a guest for only a 3 day period. Further, a guest form must be completed at the front desk of Patterson Hall, and approved by the housing department.
- Tenant is subject to community charges for vandalism, missing/damaged dining hall serve-ware, and or damages that occur in the dorms.
- SNC shall not be liable for any loss of Tenant’s property by fire, theft, breakage, burglary, or otherwise, nor for any accidental damage to persons or property in or about the leased premises resulting from electrical failure, water, rain, windstorm, etc., which may cause issue or flow into or from any part of said premises or improvements, including pipes, gas lines, sprinklers, or electrical connections, whether caused by the negligence of SNC, SNC’s employees, contractors, agents, or by any other cause whatsoever. Tenant hereby agrees to make no claim for any such damages or loss against SNC. Tenant can purchase renter’s insurance at Tenant’s expense.
- Any improvements to the property made by tenant inside or outside must be removed upon leaving the property on end date stated above, or charges will be assessed to student accounts. This includes improvements such as but not limited to; the installation of book shelves, shelving, decals, addition furniture, etc.
- Any removal of SNC’s property without express written permission from SNC shall constitute abandonment of property where as SNC will charge Tenant’s student account for property lost.
- SNC reserves the right to access the leased premises at anytime for any reason.
- There will be no charge of Security Deposit, however if there are damages upon departure for holiday break, and or departure from the dorm, charges will be assessed and charged to your student account. Any damages not previously reported as required in the housing inspection report, will be repaired at Tenant’s expense.
- Tenant agrees to accept said dwelling and all of the furnishings and appliances therein as being in good and satisfactory condition unless a written statement of any objections is delivered to SNC within three (3) days after resident takes possession. Tenant agrees that failure to file such statement shall be conclusive proof that there were no defects in the property. Tenant agrees not to permit any damage to the premises during the period of this agreement to woodwork, floors, walls, furnishings, fixtures, appliances, windows, screens, doors, lawns, landscaping, fences, plumbing, electrical, air conditioning and heating, and mechanical systems. Tenant specifically agrees that he will be responsible for, and agrees to pay for, any damage done by rain, wind, snow or hail caused by leaving window open; overflow of water or stoppage of waste pipes, breakage of glass, and damage to screens, abuse or neglect. Tenant agrees not to park or store a moterhome, recreational vehicle or trailer of any type on the premises.
- Tenant’s obligations are as follows:
A. Take affirmative action to insure that nothing is done which might place SNC in violation of applicable building, housing, zoning, and health codes and regulations.
B. Keep the dwelling clean and sanitary, removing garbage and trash as it accumulates, maintaining plumbing in good working order to prevent stoppages and leakage of plumbing fixtures, faucets, pipes, etc.
C. Operate all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and other appliances in a reasonable, safe manner.
D. Assure that property belonging to SNC is safeguarded against damage, destruction, loss, removal, or theft.
E. Conduct himself, his family, friends, guests, visitors in a manner which will not disturb others.
F. Allow the SNC or his agent access to the premises for the purpose of inspection, repairs, safety and emergencies at anytime.
- Comply with all provisions of this Agreement, Tenant warrants that he/she will meet the above conditions in every respect, and acknowledges that failure to perform the obligations herein stipulated will be considered grounds for a write-up and or eviction.
- No additional locks will be installed on any door.
- Keys: Room key and mailbox key are both $25.00 to replace, if lost or stolen. If said keys are broken please bring all the pieces to the SNC housing department and receive a free key.
- In the event repairs are needed beyond the competence of the Tenant, Tenant is urged to contact the SNC housing department.
- All micro-fridge units will cost an additional $200.00 per year to rent out. This is an optional amenity and renter will be responsible for any damage and/or cleaning the unit may need upon departure.
- Appliances or furniture in the unit at date of lease per the attached Exhibit “A”, are loaned, and not leased to Tenant. Appliances or furniture is the responsibility of Tenant who will keep them in good condition.
- Smoke Detectors have been installed and are in operable condition in each room. SNC will maintain the smoke detectors. SNC has the right to enter at anytime to inspect the smoke detectors. If at any time there is concern that the smoke detectors are not in working condition please notify the housing department. If you have any questions about the smoke detectors, you should call us promptly. If tampered with by Tenants, SNC will not be held responsible or agent from any responsibility for losses due to my/our non-compliance with the law or malfunction of the alarm.
- No water beds of any kind are allowed in the dorms.
- All parties agree that termination of this Agreement prior to termination date will constitute breach of the tenancy and all payment will be kept.
- From time to time, SNC may be represented by a Resident Assistant and or security.
- Should any provision of this Lease be found to be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of the Lease shall not be affected thereby and each term and provision herein shall be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- All rights given to SNC by this Lease shall be cumulative to any other laws which might exist or come into being. Any exercise or failure to exercise by SNC of any right shall not act as a waiver of any other rights. No statement or promise of SNC or his agent as to tenancy, repairs, alterations, or other terms and conditions shall be binding unless reduced to writing and signed by SNC.
- In this Agreement the singular number where used will also include the plural, the masculine gender will also include the feminine, the term SNC will include, Owner or Lessor; and the term Tenant(s) will include Resident, Lessee or Renter.
- The Tenant was asked if he/she could speak, read and understand English. He/she was told that signing below would indicate that they understood what they were signing and that he/she did speak and read English.
Residence Life reserves the right to enter any room at any time. All residents are subject to random room searches, including all personal property residing in the room, at any point during the year. In the event of write-ups, Residence Life follows the following FERPA codes:
iii) An educational agency or institution may disclose personally identifiable information under paragraph (a)(6)(i) of this section, and a State or local educational authority or agency headed by an official listed in paragraph (a)(3) of this section may redisclose personally identifiable information under paragraph (a)(6)(i) and (a)(6)(ii) of this section, only if—
(15)(i) The disclosure is to a parent of a student at an institution of postsecondary education regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the institution, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if—
(A) The institution determines that the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to that use or possession; and
(B) The student is under the age of 21 at the time of the disclosure to the parent