Can I watch Commencement online?
- Yes, visit http://new.livestream.com/snc/commencement-2012 on Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10am to watch the ceremony live.
Who is eligible to participate in Commencement?
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a valid graduation petition. Students who graduate any time within an academic year (Fall/December 2011, Spring/May 2012 or Summer/August 2012) are invited to participate in the May 2012 ceremony. Since summer (August) graduates are allowed to participate in the preceding spring (May) ceremony, students with nine or fewer units to complete will be allowed to participate in commencement. Under this “Within-Nine” policy, students must provide proof of enrollment in the final required units to the Office of the Registrar in order to participate and have their names printed in the commencement program. All in-progress summer courses must be completed before the start of the fall term to qualify for the “Within-Nine” exception. Senior Projects, Capstone Courses and Gallery Exhibitions for BFA students must be completed and do not fall under this “Within-Nine” policy. Students who drop or withdraw from a required class or who are not able to complete their requirements by the end of the summer semester but who still walk in the commencement ceremony will be listed in the graduation program only one time and will not be allowed to walk in an additional ceremony.
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a graduation petition by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar and completed all requirements. Students who complete all requirements, including MAT Thesis, MAT Professional Project or M.Ed. Action Plan in Summer/August 2011, Fall/December 2011 or Spring/May 2012 are invited to walk in the May 2012 ceremony. Academic regalia must be worn in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
When is Commencement and where is it held?
- Commencement is Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10am and is held on the large, grassy area next to Patterson Hall.
- Campus Map
How many people may I invite to be my guests at Commencement? Are there guest tickets?
- As no tickets are required, there is no guest limit.
Commencement Week Activities
The following events are scheduled for the week of Commencement:
- SNC Choir Concert
Wednesday, May 9, 2012 @ 7:00 pm
Patterson Lawn, Tent
Thursday, May 10, 2012 @ 4:00pm
- Awards Ceremony
Friday, May 11, 2012 @ 9:30am
Patterson Lawn, Tent
- Mandatory Commencement Rehearsal (optional for Masters graduates)
Friday, May 11, 2012
Immediately following Awards Ceremony
- SNC Faculty Senior Picnic
Friday, May 11, 2012 @ 1:00 pm
Saturday, May 12, 2012 @ 10:00 am
Participants report @ 9:00 am
Patterson Hall Room 207 is available for changing into your gown
- Commencement Reception
Saturday, May 12, 2012 immediately following Commencement
How can I get up-to-the-minute information about the Commencement speaker, rain plans, parking arrangements, and other commencement news?
- Check this web page for updates: www.sierranevada.edu/graduation
Graduation caps, gowns, rings, announcements
- If you were not able to attend the Grad Finale, the items you need are available through the Jostens websitewww.jostens.com or the SNC Bookstore.
How do I obtain graduation announcements?
- Personalized announcements are available online through www.jostens.com. Various packages are offered and priced accordingly. Jostens prints personalized announcements with the graduate’s name and degree and date, time and place of the ceremony and usually ship within 14 days.Generic or non-personalized announcements are also available at the SNC Bookstore or online through Jostens. The announcements come with cards printed with the date, time and place of the ceremony and a blank card for the graduate’s name and degree that can be inserted into the announcement.
How do I get my academic regalia?
- Academic regalia for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree candidates are available at the SNC Campus Bookstore. Regalia packages include cap, gown and tassel and are “earth-friendly”. Candidates for the Master’s degree should also purchase a Master’s hood. Gowns are sized by height. You will be able to try on gowns in different sizes for the perfect fit.
How do I get my “honors” stole?
- Students who qualify will receive the appropriate honor stole at Commencement Rehearsal on Friday, May 11thor the morning of Commencement. All students must check in at the Registrar’s table which will be set up at rehearsal and prior to Commencement.
How can I order a class ring?
- Class rings can also be ordered through Jostens. Please visit www.jostens.com and click on “Student” then “College” and follow the instructions to find SNC.
How do I obtain a frame for my diploma?
- The SNC Campus Bookstore carries frames for your diploma and includes a mat embossed in gold with the Sierra Nevada College seal. Just insert your diploma and it’s ready for hanging.