Can I watch Commencement online?
- Yes, visit the Livestream event on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10am to watch the ceremony live.
Who is eligible to participate in Commencement?
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a valid graduation petition. Students who graduate any time within an academic year (Fall/December 2012, Spring/May 2013 or Summer/August 2013) are invited to participate in the May 2013 ceremony. Since summer (August) graduates are allowed to participate in the preceding spring (May) ceremony, students with nine or fewer units to complete will be allowed to participate in commencement. Under this “Within-Nine” policy, students must provide proof of enrollment in the final required units to the Office of the Registrar in order to participate and have their names printed in the commencement program. All in-progress summer courses must be completed before the start of the fall term to qualify for the “Within-Nine” exception. Senior Projects, Capstone Courses and Gallery Exhibitions for BFA students must be completed and do not fall under this “Within-Nine” policy. Students who drop or withdraw from a required class or who are not able to complete their requirements by the end of the summer semester but who still walk in the commencement ceremony will be listed in the graduation program only one time and will not be allowed to walk in an additional ceremony.
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a graduation petition by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar and completed all requirements. Students who complete all requirements, including MAT Thesis, MAT Professional Project or M.Ed. Action Plan in Summer/August 2012, Fall/December 2012 or Spring/May 2013 are invited to walk in the May 2013 ceremony. Academic regalia must be worn in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
When is Commencement and where is it held?
- Commencement is Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10am and is held on the large, grassy area next to Patterson Hall.
- Campus Map
How many people may I invite to be my guests at Commencement? Are there guest tickets?
- As no tickets are required, there is no guest limit.
- Traveler Information
Commencement Week Activities
- Patterson Hall, Wednesday, May 15, 2013 @ 7pm
- The annual Broadway Concert—FREE to SNC Students and their families TICKETS: $10 Adults | $5 Children
- Location TBD, Wednesday, May 15, 2013 (immediately following the Choir Concert)
- Hosted by the Student Government Association | Seniors ONLY
- Patterson Lawn, Thursday, May 16, 2013 @ 4pm
- This annual event is a day to celebrate the end of the school year with Hawaiian food and beverages, volleyball, and live music.
- Open to undergrads, graduate students, family members, alumni, faculty, and staff.
- Patterson Hall, Friday, May 17, 2013 @ 9:30am
- Faculty and Staff present departmental awards to students for their outstanding performance. Students also announce the outstanding faculty and staff members. Continental breakfast served. Graduates may invite guests.
- Patterson Lawn, Friday, May 17, 2013 (immediately following Awards Ceremony)
- This rehearsal will help ensure the big day is a success—MANDATORY for undergrads; optional for graduate students.
Annual Faculty Graduation Picnic
- Incline Beach, Friday, May 17, 2013 @ 12:30pm
- Come to the beach for a fun afternoon following Commencement Rehearsal for food, fun, friends, and volleyball.
- Patterson Lawn, Saturday, May 18, 2013 @ 10am
- NOTE: Graduates report to Patterson Hall @ 9am
- Please attend this important milestone event early to prepare for your final goodbye! Continental breakfast served.
- Patterson Lawn, Saturday, May 18, 2013
- Immediately following Commencement
Tori Murden McClure is best known as the first woman and first American to row solo and unassisted across the Atlantic Ocean. She was also the first woman and first American to travel overland to the geographic South Pole. McClure has completed major climbs on several continents. She is the President of Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky. She has worked as chaplain of Boston City Hospital, as policy assistant to the Mayor of Louisville, director of a shelter for homeless women, and has worked with the boxer and humanitarian Muhammad Ali. McClure recounts her journey across the Atlantic in her memoir A Pearl in the Storm: How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean (HarperCollins), finding that what she is looking for lies not in a superhuman show of strength, but rather in embracing what it means to be human.
McClure’s achievements have been cited in more than a dozen books, and several dozen major magazines. She has appeared on national television programs such as Good Morning America, the Today Show, Oprah, Late Night with David Letterman, the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, Exhale with Candice Bergen, CNN Domestic and International, The Rosie O’Donnel Show, and several others. A sought after speaker, she has given hundreds of talks to colleges, high schools, corporations, ports organizations, and educational groups across the country.
McClure holds a Masters of Fine Arts in Writing from Spalding University with an emphasis in Creative Non-Fiction. She holds a Masters in Divinity from Harvard University, a Juris Doctor from the University of Louisville Law School, and she received her undergraduate degree from Smith College. She is a two time Semester Graduate of the National Outdoor Leadership School. She is a Registered Emergency Medical Technician certified in both urban and wilderness settings. She is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. McClure and her husband, “Mac,” reside in Louisville, Kentucky.
Graduation caps, gowns, rings, announcements
- If you were not able to attend the Grad Finale, the items you need are available through the Jostens websitewww.jostens.com or the SNC Bookstore.
- Grad Fair Thursday, April 18
How do I obtain graduation announcements?
- Personalized announcements are available online through www.jostens.com. Various packages are offered and priced accordingly. Jostens prints personalized announcements with the graduate’s name and degree and date, time and place of the ceremony and usually ship within 14 days. Generic or non-personalized announcements are also available at the SNC Bookstore or online through Jostens. The announcements come with cards printed with the date, time and place of the ceremony and a blank card for the graduate’s name and degree that can be inserted into the announcement.
How do I get my academic regalia?
- Academic regalia for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree candidates are available at the SNC Campus Bookstore. Regalia packages include cap, gown and tassel and are “earth-friendly”. Candidates for the Master’s degree should also purchase a Master’s hood. Gowns are sized by height. You will be able to try on gowns in different sizes for the perfect fit.
How do I get my “honors” stole?
- Students who qualify will receive the appropriate honor stole at Commencement Rehearsal on Friday, May 17 or the morning of Commencement. All students must check in at the Registrar’s table which will be set up at rehearsal and prior to Commencement.
What are the Blue Challenge Cords?
- Visit The 1969 Senior Giving Challenge for more information on the cords and the hula challenge.
How can I order a class ring?
- Class rings can also be ordered through Jostens. Please visit www.jostens.com and click on “Student” then “College” and follow the instructions to find SNC.
How do I obtain a frame for my diploma?
- The SNC Campus Bookstore carries frames for your diploma and includes a mat embossed in gold with the Sierra Nevada College seal. Just insert your diploma and it’s ready for hanging.
- Contact Information: 775.831.1314
- Event Questions: Kim Anastassatos | ext. 7549 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Accessories (caps, gowns, rings, etc): Bookstore | ext. 7513
- Graduation Requirement Questions: Jane Rainwater | ext. 7435 | email@example.com
- M.A.T. & M.Ed. Student Questions: Sandra Cloninger | ext. 7518 | firstname.lastname@example.org