Commencement FAQ 2015
When is Commencement and where is it held?
- Commencement is Saturday, May 16, 2014 at 10 am. It is held on the large, grassy area next to Patterson Hall.
- Campus Map
I can’t be there. Can I watch Commencement online?
- Yes, visit the Livestream event on Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 10am to watch the ceremony live.
How many guests may I invite to Commencement? Are there guest tickets?
Who is eligible to participate in Commencement?
In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a valid graduation petition. Students who graduate any time within an academic year (Fall/December 2014, Spring/May 2015 or Summer/August 2015) are invited to participate in the May 2015 ceremony. Since summer (August) graduates are allowed to participate in the preceding spring (May) ceremony, students with nine or fewer units to complete will be allowed to participate in commencement. Under this “Within-Nine” policy, students must provide proof of enrollment in the final required units to the Office of the Registrar in order to participate and have their names printed in the commencement program. All in-progress summer courses must be completed before the start of the fall term to qualify for the “Within-Nine” exception. Senior Projects, Capstone Courses and Gallery Exhibitions for BFA students must be completed and do not fall under this “Within-Nine” policy. Students who drop or withdraw from a required class or who are not able to complete their requirements by the end of the summer semester but who still walk in the commencement ceremony will be listed in the graduation program only one time and will not be allowed to walk in an additional ceremony.
Teacher Education Department: In order to participate (walk) in graduation ceremonies, a student must have submitted a graduation petition by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar and completed all requirements. Students who complete all requirements, including MAT Thesis, MAT Professional Project or M.Ed. Action Plan in Summer/August 2014, Fall/December 2014 or Spring/May 2015 are invited to walk in the May 2015 ceremony. Academic regalia must be worn in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
Graduation Regalia & Accessories
- If you were not able to attend the Grad Fair, the items you need are available through the Jostens website www.jostens.com or the SNC Bookstore.
How do I obtain graduation announcements?
- Personalized announcements are available online through www.jostens.com. Various packages are offered and priced accordingly. Jostens prints personalized announcements with the graduate’s name and degree and date, time and place of the ceremony and usually ship within 14 days. Generic or non-personalized announcements are also available at the SNC Bookstore or online through Jostens. The announcements come with cards printed with the date, time and place of the ceremony and a blank card for the graduate’s name and degree that can be inserted into the announcement.
How do I get my academic regalia?
- Academic regalia for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree candidates is available “off the rack” at the Campus Store. Regalia packages include cap, gown and tassel and are “earth-friendly”. Candidates for the Master’s degree should also purchase a Master’s hood. Gowns are sized by height. You will be able to try on gowns in different sizes for the perfect fit.
How do I get my “Honors” stole?
- Students who qualify will receive the appropriate honor stole at Commencement Rehearsal on Friday, May 17 or the morning of Commencement. All students must check in at the Registrar’s table which will be set up at rehearsal and prior to Commencement.
How can I order a class ring?
- Class rings can also be ordered through Jostens. Please visit www.jostens.com and click on “Student” then “College” and follow the instructions to find SNC.
How do I obtain a frame for my diploma?
- The Campus Store carries diploma frames including a mat embossed with the Sierra Nevada College seal in gold. Just insert your diploma and it’s ready for hanging.
- Event Questions Jenn Johnson | ext. 7576 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Accessories (caps, gowns, rings, etc): Campus Store | ext. 7513
- Undergraduate Graduation Requirements Shannon Hameister | ext. 7580 | email@example.com
- Masters Degree Graduation Requirements Jane Rainwater | ext. 7435 | firstname.lastname@example.org