2012 High School Writing Contest – Submissions
Submissions will be accepted through December 1, 2012 | ONLINE SUBMISSION MANAGER
We’re looking for the best of high school writing! The contest is open to U.S. juniors and seniors. Students may enter all three categories:
- Creative Nonfiction
CASH PRIZES: 1st place in each category will receive $500; 2nd place in each category will receive $250; 3rd place in each category will receive $100. New this year is a local’s award of $100 in each category to a California or Nevada student. Winners will also be considered for publication in the Sierra Nevada Review—last year all winners and a few other entries were published.
- Submission period opens 9/1/12 and closes 12/1/12. Early or late submissions will not be considered.
- Submissions are NOW OPEN.
- Open to all juniors and seniors in the U.S. No entry fee. Entries must be original, unpublished work. By submitting work to the contest, the student is confirming that he or she is the author. All rights to the work remain with the author.
- Categories are poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction (under 10,000 words, no research papers – creative nonfiction includes personal narrative, memoir, travel stories, journalism feature stories, etc). Open to all juniors and seniors in the U.S. No entry fee.
- Students may make one submission in any or all categories but only ONE submission per category, please. For poetry submission, send up to 5 poems, short story/fiction send one story, and creative nonfiction send one work. Please do not exceed these limits or make multiple submissions in a single category. Multiple submissions will not be considered.
- Judges will be Sierra Nevada Review editors and writing faculty at SNC.
- First place prize winners in each category will receive $500; second place in each category will receive $250; third place in each category will receive $100. A local’s prize of $100 will be awarded in each category (CA & NV students).
- Winners will be considered for publication in the Sierra Nevada Review. Submitting to the contest signals agreement to all contest rules, assent to publication, and assent to public recognition as a winner or finalist in SNC electronic and print media.