Financing Your Education
We will walk you and your family step-by-step through the process and work diligently to maximize the amount of available need- and merit-based funding according to eligibility. When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the SNC code is 009192. Contact our office to get started—we are here to help.
What is Financial Aid?
Financial aid is any source of funds accessible to assist students in paying for the costs of a college education. If you think you will need support beyond your own financial resources, whatever your family situation, you are encouraged to apply for financial aid.
The four main types of financial aid:
- Work – Study
Most financial aid is based on verified financial need and requires the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA]. Federal and state grants, loans, and work – study are all need-based programs.
Scholarships are based on academic merit. You do not have to show financial need to receive money through merit-based programs.
Financial Aid is gift aid or self help aid.
- Gift aid includes grants, scholarships, and tuition assistance.
- Self-help aid includes work – study and loans that require the student to work or borrow.
Who is eligible for need-based aid?
Basic requirements to be qualified to receive need-based financial aid:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA].
- Have financial need (except for some loan programs and most scholarship programs).
- Be accepted for enrollment or be enrolled as a student working toward a degree or certificate. You may apply for aid before you are accepted, but aid will not be offered until you have been admitted to SNC.
- Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
- Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
- Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree.
- Use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
- Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.
Undergraduate students who have already received one or more bachelor’s degree(s)
Undergraduates who have already received a bachelors degree will only be eligible for loans. This includes students in double major or dual degree programs who have already met the requirements for one of their majors or degrees and are continuing their education toward the additional major or degree.
Students enrolled at more than one institution
Students who are enrolled at more than one college or university at the same time may receive financial aid from only one of the institutions, not both.
Meet Our Staff
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Sierra Nevada College
999 Tahoe Blvd.
Incline Village, NV 89451-9500