Full time supervised student teaching experiences are required in classroom settings during the final semester of Phase I, leading to licensure. Students are assigned to “lead teachers” employed by the school system. College supervisors are appointed to supervise the student teaching process, making regular visits to observe the students teaching, and holding conferences with the student and lead teacher. Weekly seminars bring the students together for a positive support group, to promote professional growth and collegiality, and to provide additional preparation that can be applied to the classroom.
Student Teaching Requirements
Applicants for supervised student teaching must have completed the following:
- Full admission and have completed all 3 & 4 credit course work.
- Have maintained an overall 3.0 GPA or higher in the teacher education courses.
- Obtain a Nevada substitute license as required by assigned school district
- Be qualified in the professional judgmdent of Sierra Nevada College.
- Complete all required testing to be taken prior to student teaching: Praxis I or CBEST and the Secondary Content Knowledge Praxis II Exam if applicable.
- Complete Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution, and United States Constitution exam or course equivalent.
- Secondary Licensure candidates must have had a 3.0 GPA or higher in their major teaching field.