Frequently Asked Questions

TED Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) FAQ | ONLINE CLASS FAQ

Is your program a master’s program?
A: Yes, our program is a licensure and masters combined program.  If a person completes all requirements of our program he/she is eligible to receive a regular Nevada teaching license and with 6 or 9 additional credits you can obtain a masters degree.

Q: Can I receive a California teaching credential through your program?
A: Our program is considered a Nevada program because we have a signed program agreement with the Nevada Department of Education.  We do not have such an agreement with California.  However, after obtaining your Nevada teaching license you may take it to California Department of Education and apply for a California credential.  Nevada has reciprocity with all 49 other states.

Q: How long is the program?
A: The first phase (licensure) of the program is designed to be a three-semester program, which includes two semesters of coursework and one semester of student teaching. The second phase is 6 or 9 additional credits, two courses and a thesis project.

Q: Are classes only offered at Incline Village?
A: You can take classes in Reno, Las Vegas and Incline Village.

Q: How many credits will I end up taking to complete the program?
A: For students entering in Fall 2012 or later, the elementary program is 44 credits, and the secondary program is 38 credits.

Q: How do I enroll?
A: A person can obtain an admission packet from the Admission Counselor for Teacher Education.
Student Teaching FAQ

Q: How long does student teaching last?
A: Student teaching is a semester endeavor (16 weeks).  The daytime hours of student teaching are commensurate with the operating hours of the school where the student teaching takes place.

Q: Do I have to arrange my own student teaching placement?
A: Student teaching placements are arranged by the Teacher Education Department.

Q: Do I have any other class commitments during my student teaching semester?
A: Along with student teaching, students are required to attend a weekly seminar. This seminar is held after the end of the school day, and is designed to give student teachers information concerning employment requirements of school districts, skills for seeking employment, effective teaching practices, opportunities to share teaching experiences, etc.

Q: Do I need to student teach in a particular geographic area?
A: Student teachers have the opportunity to student teach in a variety of communities.  Those requesting student teaching assignments outside of a one-hundred mile radius are assessed an extra fee for distance student teaching.

Q: What do I need to have completed prior to student teaching?
A: You must be fully admitted into the Sierra Nevada College Teacher Education Program, must have taken all of the coursework and undergraduate prerequisites by the Nevada Department of Education. If you are a secondary major, then you must also successfully complete the specialty area test of the Praxis II in your chosen subject area.

Q: If I have experience as a substitute teacher, can I count that in lieu of student teaching?
A: No.

Q: How is student teaching graded?
A: Student teaching is graded on a pass/fail basis.

Q: If I am a “California only” student, what do I get to show that I have completed coursework from Sierra Nevada College in teacher education?
A: Upon request by the student to the registrar’s office a transcript will be sent that indicates completion of coursework.  In addition, students may request a letter from the Teacher Education Department which indicates that students have completed coursework and/or testing.

Q: What if I don’t have a current Nevada substitute license?
A: You will need to fill out an initial licensure application for the State of Nevada, submit a current transcript showing your student teaching grade, submit fingerprints on cards provided by the state, and pay a fee.

How long does it take to get a Nevada teaching license?
A: In Northern Nevada it usually takes two weeks or less, after application, to receive your license.  In Southern Nevada it can take up to 12-14 weeks to receive your license.

Can I get a Nevada teaching license if I have not taken/passed all of my tests?
A: Yes, you can obtain a Nevada teaching license provided you have passed student teaching.  You are eligible to apply for a provisional three-year non-renewable teaching license.