TED Admission Requirements
All domestic graduate applicants must submit the items below by the appropriate application deadline.
1. Graduate Application and Application Fee
$50 non-refundable application fee (payable to Sierra Nevada College).
2. Official Transcript(s)
An official transcript showing a posted bachelor’s degree with an earned 3.0 grade point average. (Exceptions to the GPA requirement may be made based on extraordinary qualifications including time elapsed since completion of degree, experience in the field, etc.)
Transcripts for any other undergraduate and graduate coursework must be submitted separately.
An international credential evaluation will be required for coursework previously completed outside the United Sates. SNC-approved international credential evaluations are available for a fee from World Education Services (WES) at www.wes.org.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should come from a college-level instructor who can speak to your academic competencies. If you cannot acquire an academic letter, the letters should be from someone who can provide anecdotal evidence of how you interact with youth and your suitability to the teaching profession, or from someone (e.g., an employer) who can provide some anecdotal evidence about the following skills: written and oral communication, analytical reasoning, and/or the ability to read complex material. Letters may not be from a neighbor, friend, or relative.
MAT letters of recommendation must be confidential.
4. Personal Statement
A personal essay of 2-3 pages addressing the following:
- Why do you want to become a (level/subject) teacher?
- Describe of a powerful learning experience in your own life and how it might influence your own teaching in the future.
- Describe your current leadership style(s).
- Discuss how your style impacts your ability to lead others.
- Discuss how you anticipate this program will enhance your ability to lead and enhance your role as a leader in the classroom and community.
Applying with a GPA below 3.0:
MAT Applicants: we strongly recommend providing verified evidence of proficiency in basic writing/verbal and mathematical skills by passing the PPST/ Praxis 1 or CBEST. Completing state appropriate courses with a grade of B or better may be accepted. A Master’s degree meets this requirement.