Ceramics, Sushi, and Sightseeing in Japan
May 17th – June 1st, 2017
$4,500 Includes: tuition, flights, rail pass, hotels, select meals
Take an amazing trip to Japan this summer! We’ll visit Mashiko, Nikko, southwestern Japan, then Kyoto; going to various potteries, art museums, castles, temples, shrines, and art studios. We’ll participate in some hands-on art workshops and get to experience Japanese culture. The meals are incredible – an experience, not just food. You’ll wear a yukata, (house kimono), and truly enjoy every moment. “Japan is over the top great!”
Shiho Kanzaki’s pottery in Shigaraki
Hami Seiho, potter in Unzen
Kinkaku Temple, (the golden pavilion)
Indigo, onion peels, and rust dyed fabric
Koda Yaki Potter in Yatsushiro City, 14th generation
Tentative Itinerary (Still working on details)
May 17th – Leave for Japan from San Francisco, CA – SFO
May 18th – Tokyo
May 19th – 20th – Mashiko and Nikko
May 21st – 22nd – Kumamoto
- Kumamoto Comtemporary Art Museum
- Kumamoto Prefectural Traditional Crafts Center – Higo Inlay Jewelry Workshop
May 23rd – 24th – Gokanosho
- En route – stop at tea shop in Hitoyoshi – learn about Japanese tea and enjoy tea and snack
- Aoi Aso Shrine – National Treasure
- Visit Waterfall – breathtaking!
- Shodo Workshop – Japanese Calligraphy – learn how to write some Japanese with brush and ink
- Bamboo Workshop
- Gokanosho Museum
- Stay at Heike-so – a special small inn with incredible Japanese dinners and wonderful breakfasts. A unique and memorable experience.
May 25th – Yatsushiro
- Partake in authentic, formal tea ceremony at the Shohinken Tea House built in 1688.
- Kimono shop – learn about traditional Japanese clothing
- Kodayaki Pottery demonstration – 13th generation potter since 1602
May 26th – 27th – Unzen
- En route – visit Tokoji Zen temple. Experience Zen meditation and learn about Buddhism.
- Enjoy natural hot springs – Onsen in Unzen, which has a European influence.
- Visit local potter using volcanic ash glazes
- Glass gallery
- Indigo dyeing workshop
May 28th – June 1st – Kyoto and surrounding areas
- Kinkaku, (the golden pavilion) – Gorgeous Zen temple and garden
- Tour of Shrines and Temples in Kyoto
- Travel to Shigaraki – “pottery town” Meet potters, see a lot of pottery
- Travel to the temples at Nara
June 1st – Return to US – SFO
Early registration is recommended.
Temples at Nara Todai-ji temple – Great Buddha Hall
Typical meal at the Yumei Hotel in Unzen (then they bring more!) Oishi! Delicious!
Syugakukan High School performance in Yatsushiro City
Gokanosho, creek behind our hotel