Gregory Kondos | Tahoe Landscape Painting
July 8th – 12th, 2013
This course is geared to freshen up the idea of what landscape painting is all about. Taught with contemporary style, yet formal structure, students will be taught the patience to see balance, color and light in the gorgeous landscape of Lake Tahoe. Participants will construct on their canvases the beauty of what nature has to offer while being taught the appreciation of landscape as fine art. Students will use acrylic or oil paint.
Gregory Kondos is one of California’s foremost landscape artists. For over 40 years he has traveled the world painting a multitude of landscape subjects, from Yosemite Valley to the Sacramento River Delta, from Big Sur to the Southwest, and from Aix-en-Provence in France to the islands of Greece. Kondos brings a modernist perspective to the landscape, working in a honest, straightforward manner that has been described as “Painterly Realism.” His lifelong achievements place him in the great tradition of American landscape painting that includes Albert Bierstadt, Edward Hopper, and Georgia O’Keeffe.
His paintings take light from the Impressionists, form and structures from Cezanne, and energy and painterly power from the Abstract Expressionists.
“The paintings of Gregory Kondos are eloquently caressed landscapes of sweeping distances that transport us to spaces and places vibrating with atmospheric memories of the visual splendors in our world.” Wayne Thiebaud
Please bring the following to the workshop
- Palette, paper or regular
- Palette knife
- Assortment of brushes, brights or half rounds #2, #4, #6, #8, and #10, and any others you’d like.
- Stretched canvases, (not the board kind and no frames) in your choice of sizes perhaps 12” x 14”, or 20” x 24”, or 24” x 30”
- Easel if you have one, please contact me to let me know if you’ll be able to bring one so I won’t have to provide one for you! Please call Sheri at 775.831.1314 x7588
- Folding chair, lightweight, if you have one to bring to outdoor locations. We have some if you don’t or can’t.
If you’re using oil paints, please bring the following colors:
- Titanium White or any white
- Thalo Blue
- Ivory Black
- Cadmium Yellow
- Cadmium Orange
- Cadmium Red
- Cadmium Rose Matter
- Any other paints you’d like
If you’re using acrylics, Gregory said just bring an assortment of like colors and brushes.
The college will provide some materials such as: charcoal, fixative, sketchpads, pencils, paper towels, varnish, turpentine, liquien etc. You’re welcome to bring your own supplies of the like if you have certain preferences. Please come prepared for working outdoors, bring sunscreen, hats, etc. The sun is extremely intense at this elevation. It may be hot or cool too. You never know in Tahoe! This will be a fantastic workshop! See you here in July.