business, environmental science, health, law, writing, political science, and ethics
to address contemporary issues.
B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies in Sustainability
The major addresses questions about the sustainability of our communities, our businesses, our environmental systems, our schools, our cultures, and our lifestyles. It draws on the strengths of our liberal arts institution and prepares students to become valuable and successful members of our society.
Meet INTD Sustainability major Marina McCoy
Class of 2016
It wasn’t until the end of my sophomore year of high school when I realized I couldn’t live without the mountains. Sierra Nevada College is the perfect school for me - the classes are small, the teachers are great, and the opportunities in Tahoe are endless. My long-term goals are to be an activist in the environmental world, to inspire everyone I interact with to live a more sustainable life, and to encourage others to embrace each individual's uniqueness! . . . Read More
Interdisciplinary Studies Majors in Sustainability will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the sustainable economic view by integrating the principles of business, economics, and entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrate and communicate a command of the concepts associated with the sustainable social view, a way of life that supports viable human communities.
- Demonstrate proficiency with the principles of environmental sustainability through an understanding of environmental systems as an interplay of biological, physical/chemical, and cultural dynamics with the goal of sustaining natural resources in perpetuity.
- Synthesize the interdisciplinary forms of sustainability into a holistic view that integrates paradigms for understanding complex human and non-human systems.
- Evaluate the sustainability of environmental institutions, legal frameworks, property rights, and culture.
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting sustainability at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
Ask A Question
Please see the GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS page for specific major course requirements.
Interdisciplinary Studies Program Chair
Sustainability Faculty | Agroecologist