Psychology & Art or Music
This major requires a core set of Psychology courses specializing in counseling methodologies with a choice between a concentration in either Art or Music. With advisor support, this major allows students to prepare for graduate school in either psychology or expressive arts.
Interdisciplinary Studies Majors in Art or Music and Psychology:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the breadth of psychological theories and applications.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of, and use of, specific tools and media of Fine Arts and/or Music.
- Synthesize and differentiate specific forms of expressive art therapy and articulate the principles inherent in them.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the historical evolution of styles, and the broad scope of cultural influence on the interplay between Music and/or Art and the healing traditions.
- Apply research in the field of expressive art therapy to real-life situations.
- Evaluate and assess psychological functioning on the level of cognitive, emotional, social, and cultural health and demonstrate the ability to accurately and thoughtfully match the needs of the individual to modalities of therapy.
- Integrate and communicate a command of the concepts associated with human psychological well-being, the principles of creative expressive arts, and make interdisciplinary connections between these fields.
|PSYC 101||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|PSYC 202||Human Development||3|
|PSYC 240||Social Psychology||3|
|PSYC 291||Introduction to APA Style||2|
|PSYC 322||Counseling and Clinical Psychology||3|
|PSYC 351 or MUSC 351||Art Therapy or Music Therapy||3|
|PSYC 370||Learning Theory and Cognitive Psychology||3|
|PSYC 371||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|PSYC 415||Research Methods||4|
|PSYC 450||Capstone in Psychology||3|
|INTD 250||Principles Interdisciplinary Studies||3|
|INTD 300||Service Learning||3|
|INTD 493||Senior Portfolio||3|
|Choose either Art or Music:|
|ARTH 110, 301, 302, 408||Choose any Art History course||3|
|DRAW 121||Drawing Fundamentals||3*|
|DESG 132||Foundations of Visual Design||3|
|PNTG 211, SCLP 210 or CERM 210||Choose 2: Beginning Painting, Beginning Sculpture or Ceramics||6|
|Studio Art||Any Intermediate or Advance Studio Art||6|
|NWGN||Any New Genres class||3|
|MUSC 310||Survey of World Music||3|
|MUSC 207||Music Theory||3|
|MUSC 225||Music Appreciation||3|
|MUIN||Applied Music (vocal or instrumental)||9*|
|MUSC 390||Music Internship||3|
|MUSC 312 or MUSC 480||Music and Mythology or Special Topics||3|
|Total Art OR Music:||24|
|*Additional (3-4) courses suggested for a Psychology graduate school track include PSYC 325, PSYC 445 and a choice between PSYC electives (301, 303, 304, 330, 331, 335, 365, 425, 441)|
|*Satisfies a General Education Core Requirement|
|*Participation in the Junior Art Portfolio Review is recommended but optional. Please discuss with Chair of Fine Arts if interested.|
|Interdisciplinary Art/ Music Therapy Disciplines Requirements:||67|
|General Education Core Requirements:||30|