this contest is made especially for you.
Turner Literary Arts Prize
SNC Tahoe is pleased to announce the annual Brian Turner Literary Arts Prize.
What are we looking for?
“Astound us. Spark the kindling and blow fire into the language. Approach the borders of the ineffable. Bring us language and imagination that transports us away from the expected and into our larger selves. Bring us blue jeans and shovels, calloused hands that shine of tenderness, pain, suffering, and love. Tell us stories built of wonder and surprise. And bring us the essential oxygen of our lives, the music of our time, histories that would otherwise be lost.
If you’ve been writing all your life and your relationship to language is one of great joy and great struggle, then this is a contest made especially for you. We want to celebrate your work. Give you some dough so you can pay a bill or two, maybe go out for a fine meal with your friends. Publish your work in a literary magazine to share with a wider audience. And, we’d like to sit down with you for a podcast interview—to talk with you about your work, your process, your thoughts on craft and aesthetics, and more.”
— Brian Turner
Entries Accepted beginning March 15th.
One Winner will be chosen in each genre: Poetry, Fiction, Creative Non-fiction, & Spoken Word.
Prizes Announced on July 1st.
- The winner in each genre will receive a $500 cash prize.
- The winner in each genre will be interviewed about their work for a new podcast series. (Details coming soon.)
- The winning entry in Poetry, Fiction, and Creative Nonfiction will be published in a literary journal. (Details coming soon.)
Open to all writers who have not yet published a full-length book. International entries accepted. All entries must be original and unpublished work.
$10 entry fee.
All subject matter and all styles are welcome.
Please limit Poetry, Fiction, and Creative Nonfiction entries to 15 pages and Spoken Word entries to 3 minutes.
If entering a stand-alone excerpt do not include any notes or preface material. Each individual piece must work on its own without explanation. Entries with additional notes will not be considered.
We may publish some or all of the winning entry in the literary journal (at the editor’s discretion). The entire entry will be included in the conversation when you are interviewed for the podcast.
- Poetry: Please enter 1-5 poems. The prize will be awarded for the entry as a whole, rather than for one individual poem.
- Fiction: Please enter flash fiction pieces, short stories, or a stand-alone excerpt from a longer work of fiction.
- Creative Nonfiction: Please enter short creative nonfiction pieces or a stand-alone excerpt from a longer work of creative nonfiction.
- Spoken Word: Please enter one audio file in MP3 format only, 3 minute maximum; no video will be accepted. Give us the author’s voice and only the author’s voice – we won’t accept entries with background music or other ambient sound. The piece must do its own work aloud with no help from other sources.
Exclusions: We cannot accept entries or work from any current or former Sierra Nevada College faculty members or students, graduate or undergraduate.