Graduate Creative Writing Application Requirements
The Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing accepts applications on a rolling basis.
For more information contact:
- Application (PDF) | Apply Online
- $50 non-refundable application fee (payable to Sierra Nevada College)
- Two confidential letters of recommendation
- Ofﬁcial Transcripts
- Personal essays
- An ofﬁcial transcript showing a posted bachelor’s degree with an earned 3.0 grade point average. (Exceptions to the grade point average requirement may be made based on extraordinary qualiﬁ cation including time elapsed since completion of degree, experience in the ﬁeld, etc.)
- Transcripts of any graduate coursework must be submitted separately.
- An international credential evaluation will be required for coursework previously completed outside the United States. SNC-approved international credential evaluations are available for a fee from World Education Services (WES) at www.wes.org.
Note: GRE scores are not required. There is no foreign language requirement.
Please submit examples of your work in at least one of these areas:
- Poetry: 10 pages of poetry
- Fiction: 20-25 pages of ﬁction
- Literary Nonﬁction: 20-25 pages of nonﬁction
Note: A complete manuscript must be submitted for each genre in which you choose to apply. All manuscripts must be typed and double spaced, with font set to
Times New Roman. Manuscripts will not be returned.
Two Personal Essays
- In 2-3 pages the essay should discuss your creative writing background, to include writers in your chosen genre who have inﬂuenced your own work. Do not include the work of MFA faculty members at Sierra Nevada College in your discussion. (You may discuss this in question number 2, if applicable.)
- In 2-3 pages discuss how the low-residency model and the program at Sierra Nevada College would be suited to your writing goals.
- Sierra Nevada College
- Graduate Admissions
- 999 Tahoe Boulevard
- Incline Village, Nevada 89451