High School Writing Contest
We’re looking for the best of high school writing!
| Open to all high school Juniors and Seniors | Submission Deadline Nov 1 |
| Enter in any or all categories |
Poetry Fiction Creative Nonfiction
CASH PRIZES: 1st place in each category $500; 2nd place in each category $250; 3rd place in each category $100. The Local’s Award is $100 in each category to a California or Nevada student.
Winners will also be considered for publication in the Sierra Nevada Review—last year all winners and a few other entries were published.
- Creative Nonfiction
Submission Period: Sept 1 – Nov 1
Eligibility: Open to all high school Juniors and Seniors.
Entry Fee: FREE
Awards: All prizes are awarded in each category. Winners will also be considered for publication in the Sierra Nevada Review.
- 1st Place $500
- 2nd Place $250
- 3rd Place $100
- Local’s Award (California and Nevada students) $100
- Category Guidelines
- Poetry: up to 5 poems
- Fiction: 1 story
- Creative Nonfiction: 1 work. Includes personal narrative, memoir, travel stories, journalism feature stories, etc; no research papers; must be under 10,000 words
- Entries must be original, unpublished work. By submitting work to the contest, the student is confirming that he or she is the author.
- One submission per category only. If submitting multiple poems, combine all into one document.
- Submissions may be uploaded in DOC, DOCX, or PDF formats.
- Each submission must include the student’s name, high school and year, and the submission category.
- Submissions are accepted ONLY through the online portal at www.sierranevada.edu/submissions/
- Submitting to the contest signals agreement to all contest rules, assent to publication, and assent to public recognition as a winner or finalist in SNC electronic and print media.
Judges: Sierra Nevada Review editors and Sierra Nevada College writing faculty